Sunday, February 25, 2018

Cleaning products - Keep it simple and Natural

Just as I prefer to use natural remedies for my health, I prefer natural cleaning products for my home.  I don’t buy ready made cleaners because they are expensive compared to pure natural ingredients that I want to use and because I want to control what I’m being exposed to.
I built my cleaning regimen by researching the internet.  I did some trial and error mixing and cleaning with natural remedies, some with essential oils, but found that the complexity was unnecessary (to me) so I decided to keep it really simple with straight up and pure products. I've been successful with those! However beware, that even with natural cleaning products, gloves are important to deter skin sensitivities.  If you aren’t worried about your skin, consider that your fingernails can suffer from exposure too. Also, try wearing a surgical mask when you are using the finely ground powders that I’m recommending. You really can’t see them in the air after you’ve sprinkled them and you can't help but inhale them.  I went without a mask several times and found that the next day I sneezed all day long.

Here are my favorite natural cleaners:

  • I spray vinegar on tile surfaces and chrome bathroom fixtures to break down lime deposits. Sometimes I spray peroxide on tile if I feel it needs a bit more muscle. I let it sit for a few minutes while I wash the sink and then wipe it from the tile.  It might take another application. I use O-Cedar’s microfiber glass cloth for mirrors and glass surfaces. Sometimes I use it dry, just to dust the surface. When cleaning is needed, I spray the cloth lightly with vinegar.
  • I use Bon Ami cleanser for all porcelain surfaces. I’ve recently used Bar Keeper’s Friend on porcelain and I think I am liking it even more than Bon Ami. It seems to leave a better shine. That said, it is a stronger acting agent so I don’t use it where it isn't really needed. 
  • I always use Bar Keeper’s Friend on stainless steel sinks. They buff out lustrous after drying with a cloth towel. Bar Keeper’s Friend can be used on rust stains in toilets, on sinks, etc. I use Bar Keeper's Friend on glass stove tops as it won't scratch it. First, I spray with a little distilled water, then sprinkle the Friend, and spray again so a paste forms. Then I use a sponge to rub the surface with the paste. I wipe it all off with a wet towel and buff dry. Tough cooked on spots can be treated with a paste and left to sit for a few minutes before rubbing with a sponge or even a toothbrush which works great!
  • I use peroxide and Bon Ami to form a paste in moldy shower corners. I spray the peroxide, then sprinkle Bon Ami, then spray it all again. Then I let it sit for about 10 minutes while I clean the toilet. Then I clean the shower walls and floor with Bon Ami and a mop. Once I’ve rinsed and dried the floor and wall surfaces, I re-treat any corner that looks suspicious. I just leave it then to its own demise and check it later to see if the mold is gone and if mold stains are there. Without some bleach-y compound, I can honestly say I have had little success removing the mildew stains with anything. That is why you must stay on top of the killing so you won’t have as many stains. I am open to any solutions you have found for removing mildew stains without using any bleach. 
  • I spray distilled water for all things marble and granite. If I see no lime deposits on chrome then I use distilled water instead of vinegar.  I use distilled water on stainless steel appliances and stainless steel flat surfaces (i.e. a kitchen back splash) and use a microfiber stainless steel cloth specifically engineered for use on stainless steel. It’s made by O-Cedar.  If the stainless steel is greasy I use a little Dawn to spot clean then use distilled water to rinse. I find that stainless steel surfaces respond well to rubbing, drying, and buffing with a microcloth.

  • I use baking soda and vinegar in the toilet bowl so they can chemically react on the rim. First, I spray vinegar on the bowl insides and under the rim, then I sprinkle baking soda on top of the vinegar. Finally, I spray vinegar on top of that to make it all foam up before I scrub it with a toilet brush. 

I avoid using synthetic chemicals as much as possible.  

  • I use Windex as a last resort because I don’t like the smell of ammonia.  I apply it sparingly whenever glass has a caked on element and my microcloth with vinegar won’t break it down. 
  • Rarely, I use a chemical toilet bowl cleaner if I’ve neglected “the ring” and it doesn’t want to budge with my natural products.  
  • I use Dawn detergent to break down grease so I use it on non-wood floors and non-marble surfaces. If I have to clean a greasy marble or granite counter top, I will spot clean with Dawn.
Honestly, natural products probably require more time and elbow grease but you will have less exposure to chemicals from which no one knows the impact of exposure. You'll also work up a sweat and get more exercise. So get your supplies together and go as chemical-free as possible. I’ve provided several links to my research areas below. The natural product recipes I tried smelled wonderful and were fun to make but I found I did not need them to make me believe that my house would be cleaner.






1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog !! such a nice information!! highly admirable. Duct and Tile Cleaning in Dandenong is essential to make your floors to look shiny and fresh.

    ReplyDelete