Sunday, January 28, 2018

Cleaning tools - Beat those germs with simple protection

Thankfully, my cleaning calendar has helped me to relax and not feel rushed. With the right tools, cleaning is more of an enjoyment than something to be endured. I also listen to music which is a wonderful “tool” to accompany the physical workout I get from cleaning. Beyond the physical demands, I do struggle with using disposable cleaning tools while prolific growth of landfills besieges our country. We are still not recycling our waste adequately. But I continue to work on natural solutions for my cleaning routine.  I don’t use paper towels to clean glass or wash counter tops so I help to save the environment. Then I do laundry to clean my work towels, using up precious water as a resource. It’s an environmental dilemma, for sure. If you know of a cost effective biodegradable tool I can use, I am open to suggestions. But I digress. Here are a few of my cleaning tools, beginning with those that protect me from germs.

Gloves are important and necessary to avoid contact with any products you are using, keep your hands dry, and protect you from germs that you could absorb or spread. I sometimes use rubber gloves at home instead of disposables. I try to work quickly before my hands start to sweat; otherwise, I feel compelled to rinse them out and go through the drying process, inside and out. It’s a time sucker but necessary to prevent mold. I live in Florida, headquarters for mold and mildew. When I have no choice but to clean and reverse the gloves, I use a ¼ inch dowel that can reach into the glove fingers and push. When I clean for others, I use disposable, non-latex food prep gloves as they are time savers, less expensive than other disposables, and they fit nicely. I change gloves between bathrooms and, of course, for the kitchen.


I wear a disposable surgical mask when I clean bathrooms. It keeps me from holding my breath when I’m washing the toilet. Is it just me? LOL. I also wear a mask when I’m working on a heavily dusty area which, for me, is a trigger for allergies. Masks are a great item to have on hand. I’ve been known to wear one on a plane to combat any possible air quality issues especially during flu season. Isn't is always flu season on an airplane?
I have no need for paper towels now that I’ve discovered microfiber cloths which are one of the greatest inventions ever! (I think feather dusters are the worst invention ever.) There are micros of all types, primarily for dusting, for cleaning glass, and some for stainless steel too. New uses for micros are being marketed all the time. I’ll share more about cleaning glass and stainless steel with other micros in another post. The majority of micros are great for dusting all surfaces and they wash and dry beautifully. What I like best is that, for truly delicate objects, you don’t have to apply any pressure on the surface being dusted. Less chance for something to break! Just a light swish of the microfiber over a delicate object can be enough to collect the dust! Because they are so absorbent you will need several to dust an entire house. I like to dust baseboards and floor edges with quick swipes of micro cloths. That’s all it takes to collect the dust and the floor is better prepared for a thorough cleaning. I don't like collecting baseboard dirt on my mop. So I'm a fusspot. That makes for a great cleaner! Contact me if you need help.

Sponges. You will want to read my post on how I feel about sponges. Let’s just say I use them sparingly. For everything else I use cotton fabric cleaning towels of varying sizes: one to wipe outer toilet surfaces, a fresh one for wiping down shower walls and tubs, some for standing on a wet floor, and another for bathroom vanity and fixtures. If I’m not cleaning a surface with towels, then I’m dusting it with some type of micro.

My next post is about tools I use on floors.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing cleaning tools. Very helpful post. Thanks for the sharing.

    Thanks. Homeplix

    ReplyDelete