Friday, January 26, 2018

Show some respect

Yes, I was supposed to write about tools I use to clean with. But as I got started on vacuum cleaners, I became self righteous about how we neglect them and decided this piece of equipment needed its own post, along with respect for what it does for us. Here goes... Nothing beats a vacuum cleaner for carpets and area rugs. Luxuriously fluffy bathroom shag rugs do NOT like vacuuming. They have to be shaken out, as do the trendy woven rag mats that have come back into fashion.  Despite my respect for a vacuum cleaner’s ability to do what I cannot, I have never found one quiet enough for me so I only use it when I have to.  They can also be heavy to manage and (yuck) they have to be maintained.  

That said, my vacuum cleaner is willing to jump through hoops for me because I clean it between uses. What a concept! This is a new habit I recently developed as I now live on retirement funds and I want it to last as long as possible. Seriously, who knew I was capable of such a feat? I dump the dirt out of the canister, I wash the canister and the filter, I examine and free up the beater bar that has connected with hair, fibers, and gawd-knows-what, and I towel dry the parts finishing with air drying.  Finally, I deftly reassemble.

This is the first time I have ever invested this amount of time into any vacuum cleaner that I’ve owned and, despite this one’s low price, it is performing like a high end machine. Because it is being maintained. Are we all guilty of expecting our machines to clean themselves and last forever? I think so… We wait until they break, throw them into a landfill, and then we buy a new one. It’s easier, right?   I know, I know, I’m retired so I have more time for this. But still...

No comments:

Post a Comment